Before the LME, metal traders and
merchants would congregate in the coffee shops of Change Alley to trade across
the road from the Royal Exchange. The Jerusalem Coffee House was the favorite
among metals traders.
In 1877 the LME was formed as the
London Metals and Mining Company and moved into its first official premises –
above a hat shop in Lombard Court.
Membership of the newly formed
metals exchange swelled to more than 300 members and after a few years the
location was moved to a purpose-built office on Whittington Avenue next to
In WWII trading
at the LME was suspended and did not resume until 1953.
The LME would stay at Whittington Avenue for the
next 98 years and underwent a renovation in the early 1960s.
The LME market in full swing in
Geraldine Bridgewater – the first
of many female traders at the LME.
Martin Hayes (rear centre), then a metals reporter, taking down prices in the
late 1970s. Read Martin’s blog Memories
From The Ring
In the 1980s the LME moved to Plantation House.
The layout of Plantation House is similar to today, with booths for members fitted with computer screens and multiple telephone lines surrounding the LME Ring.
Plantation House in the early
In 1994 the LME moved to 56
And began filming live metals
webcasts from the LME floor in 2007.
The LME has seen its fair share of
celebrity guests – including Stephen Fry in 2013, who likened the LME trading
session to “a bear pit or cockfight.”
The LME Ring in 2015.
Time-lapse of an afternoon trading session at the LME.