Transamine reaches agreement on finance provision for lithium project in Zimbabwe

Transamine Trading will provide Kamativi Tailings and joint-venture partner Zimbabwe Lithium with $9.5 million of debt funding to finance the Kamativi Tailings Lithium Project, in exchange for supplies of lithium spodumene produced from the mine.

The funding will be provided on completion of relevant conditions including the release of a definitive feasibility study.

Canadian company Chimata Gold and its subsidiary Zimbabwe Lithium own 60% of the Kamativi Tailings Lithium Project in Zimbabwe, with the remaining 40% owned by Kamativi Tin Mines.

The funding will be used in the construction of the Phase 1 processing plant and for working capital.

Kamativi Tailings intends to produce min 6% lithium spodumene concentrate at the project, and Transamine will have the right to 150,000 tonnes of phase 1 production.

Phase 1 production is scheduled to start in the third quarter of 2019 with a production rate equivalent to 55,000 tonnes per year of lithium concentrate. No end date for phase 1 was specified.

The second phase of the project is intended to produce 169,000 tpy of similar concentrate beginning in the first quarter of 2020. This will require investment of $33 million.

The agreement establishes that the lithium spodumene price will be set according to international market terms for min 6% lithium spodumene concentrate, although no price was specified.

Fastmarkets’ most recent assessment of the price of lithium spodumene min 5-6%, cif China, was $600-750 per tonne on December 26 last year, down from $650-800 per tonne on November 28.

What to read next
As the world moves toward a shared goal of net-zero emissions, Claire Patel-Campbell talks to Outokumpu’s head of group sustainability, excellence and reliability about the place of the energy-intensive and high emissions ferro-chrome industry in a greener economy
Energy has been at the top of the agenda for the ferro-chrome market over the last couple of years, as prices fluctuate and access to steady supplies becomes more uncertain
A coalition of the world’s leading aluminium market participants is set to make the supply chain more sustainable, the International Aluminium Institute (IAI) said on Monday, March 27
The publication of Fastmarkets’ Shanghai ferro-nickel price assessment for Monday March 27 was delayed due to a reporter error during the data collection process.
Fastmarkets proposes to extend the shipment window of its alumina index inferred, fob Brazil, to allow for greater inclusion of reported liquidity, and to increase the frequency of publication to weekly.
Following a month-long consultation period, Fastmarkets has amended the methodology for the bi-weekly assessment of the aluminium P1020A main Japanese ports (MJP) spot premium, to include domestic tenders and deals from the Japanese market.
We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.