Winsway divesting share in Grande Cache Coal

Winsway Coking Coal is looking to sell at least part of its 60% stake in Grande Cache Coal Corp (GCC) as it no longer wishes to hold a majority interest in the Canadian coal producer it acquired in 2012.

Paragraph entered by Atlantic migration, in order for SteelFirst articles to display correctly on Metal Bulletin.

“The bidding process has begun and the company is in negotiation with several potential buyers for either a partial or full divestment,” the Hong Kong-listed company said on Monday June 30.

The decision was made “in light of current market conditions for the sale of coking coal”, Winsway said.

Last Friday, Anglo American and Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp settled the September quarter coking coal benchmark at $120 per tonne fob Australia, unchanged from that in the second quarter and the lowest since 2007.

The spot market picture is similarly bleak. Steel First’s premium hard coking coal index was calculated at $114.85 per tonne fob Australia last Friday, down from $133.70 per tonne fob at the beginning of this year.

Winsway has appointed BNP Paribas as its financial advisor on the divestment and it expects a transaction to complete within a year.

The company bought its 60% stake in GCC in 2012 when Marubeni Corp acquired the other 40% half. Winsway registered a net loss of HK$2.33 billion ($295 million) for 2013, deeper in the red than 2012 when it posted a net loss of HK$1.67 billion ($212 million).

GCC had a total run-of-mine coal output of 2.4 million tonnes in 2013.

What to read next
General Motors (GM) is investing $650 million to develop the Thacker Pass mine in Nevada, the largest known source of lithium in the US and the third largest in the world
Electrolysis processes developed by Boston Metal and Electra that eliminate the need for coal in steel production could be key to a net-zero emissions future for the metallics industry, attendees learned at Fastmarkets’ conference on January 17-19 in Dallas
US deep-sea ferrous export prices from the East Coast to Turkey have plateaued, with a Turkish mill purchasing a cargo at prices stable from the last-reported sale
Following a six-week consultation period, Fastmarkets can confirm it will amend the calculation method for all the average functions on the Fastmarkets platform from Wednesday March 1, 2023.
Consolidation, the recycling of electric vehicle batteries, US steel exports and the benefits of sustainable steelmaking were key talking points at Fastmarkets’ Scrap & Steel 2023 conference in Dallas in January
We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.