WORLD MAGNESIUM CONF: QingHai SaltLake starts Mg production at its 100,000-tpy facility

China’s QingHai SaltLake Industry Co Ltd has begun producing magnesium at its recently constructed 100,000-tpy facility, the company’s chief geologist and vice director of R&D Wang Shijun told participants at the 74th annual World Magnesium Conference in Singapore on Monday May 22.

The plant is expected to reach 30,000 tpy of magnesium capacity by the end of the year, before ramping up to full capacity within the next year or two, according to Wang.

Construction of the facility has been completed and the magnesium chloride dehydration system was commissioned on December 31 2016, Wang said, adding that production of pure magnesium began in January of this year.

“We are a green production factory”, he said, adding that the project uses a mix of hydro, wind and solar power “which surpasses the Pidgeon process”.

The hydro-wind-solar mix provides 90% of the facility’s electricity while coal power provides the remaining 10%.
The company is using Norsk Hydro technology for electrolysis, Wang added.

In August last year, Chinese president Xi Jinping visited the plant which is said to be driving the “Green Magnesium” initiative in China.

“We are aligned with China’s policies supporting green magnesium. ‘Made in China 2025' defines lightweighting of new energy vehicles as one of the key tasks,” Wang said

“QingHai SaltLake’s green magnesium [facility] is a timely project and will support lightweight demand in the auto industry. We can reduce carbon emissions,” he added.

Lightweighting has seen crucial demand in auto, railways, aircrafts and other industries particularly in new energy vehicles.

See also:

Qinghai Salt Lake starts construction of 100,000 tpy Mg facility

What to read next
The publication of Fastmarkets’ US rebar prices took place earlier than scheduled on Wednesday March 22 due to a reviewer error.
Fastmarkets proposes to amend the frequency of its P1020A aluminium import premium assessment in Brazil to monthly, from fortnightly.
Prices for cobalt metal have witnessed a sustained rally and recovery in recent weeks, after hitting lows at the beginning of the year, even while market participants see challenging conditions on the supply side in the longer term
Glencore’s Gary Nagle might have spoken too soon when he said that his company wouldn’t be hit by a nickel fraud similar to that seen by its rival, Trafigura
Fastmarkets proposes to amend its steel cut-to-length plate carbon grade, fob mill US assessment to exclude material below 0.375 inches of thickness, which is sold with an added cost by several major mills.
The European Union’s much-anticipated Critical Raw Materials Act, announced on Thursday March 16 by European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen, has set out new lists of the raw materials now formally designated as strategic and critical
We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.