DRC quota extension eases cobalt supply concerns, but market reaction muted

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) move to extend its export window for cobalt quotas has been viewed as potentially easing supply tightness, although the immediate market reaction has been limited, sources told Fastmarkets on Wednesday April 1.

Key takeaways:

  • DRC’s export deadline extension may ease near-term supply pressure, but logistics remain the bottleneck, with shipments slower than expected and operational constraints limiting the immediate flow of cobalt to the market.
  • Market sentiment remains weak, with little immediate price response amid uncertainty over arrivals and muted downstream demand.
  • Prices and availability will hinge on execution, with actual shipment pace and demand recovery mattering more than policy changes alone.

The world’s largest cobalt producer, CMOC, confirmed to Fastmarkets that the additional 30 days will allow it to ship its full fourth-quarter volumes within the revised timeline, while another producer also indicated that the extension would enable completion of delayed shipments.

Policy adjustment under the new quota system

On Tuesday, the DRC added another 30 days to the deadline for exporting volumes allocated to miners for the fourth quarter of 2025 – which had already been rolled over to the end of the first quarter of 2026 – under the country’s new quota system.

Market participants said shipments from the DRC have so far been slower than expected, prompting the authorities to adjust the policy.

Olivier Masson, principal analyst at Fastmarkets, said the move was prompted by the current pace of exports.

“With relatively little material reportedly being shipped from the DRC, it was necessary for the government to act; otherwise, supply would have been even tighter,” he said.

Masson added that operational factors may also have contributed to the situation.

“It’s also probably the slow set-up for the government testing system that has caused this situation, although discrepancies between private and government cobalt content testing may also be a factor,” he said.

Price expectations tempered by logistics constraints

Some market participants said they expected the extension to put downward pressure on prices, given the potential increase in available volumes.

“Literally, it will be bearish news, equivalent to shipment volumes from three quarters – Q4 2025 along with Q1 plus Q2 2026,” a smelter source said.

But the source warned that the practical impact may be more limited.

“Don’t be too optimistic in practice. It’s still slow. Although Q2 exports may appear high from a policy perspective, this may not materialize in reality,” the source said.

Interested in cobalt economic modeling? Discover our long-term forecasts for staying ahead of this evolving market.

Subdued sentiment and limited physical trading

Other market participants pointed to subdued market sentiment, given the limited immediate price response.

“The market mood is a bit down. You see, Zhonglianjin has fallen a little,” a second smelter source said, referring to China’s cobalt metal futures prices on the Wuxi Zhonglianjin Exchange.

Traders also reported a lack of activity in the physical market, with uncertainty over near-term arrivals in China.

“There is uncertainty over how much material will arrive in China in the near term. Not much reaction so far – it mainly depends on the shipping timeline,” a trader said.

The trader added that weak downstream demand continues to weigh on the market.

“If downstream demand does not improve, prices cannot rise. The market is quiet now,” the trader said.

Overall, while the policy adjustment may help alleviate supply constraints in the near term, market participants said the effect will depend on the pace of actual shipments and the recovery in demand.

Fastmarkets’ daily price assessment for cobalt hydroxide 30% Co min, cif China was at $25.90-26.00 per lb on Wednesday, up by more than 350% from $5.60-5.75 per lb on February 18, 2025, ahead of DRC’s export ban on cobalt.

DRC’s dominant role in global cobalt supply

The DRC accounts for more than 70% of global mined cobalt supply. To curb oversupply, the government imposed an export ban between February and October 2025, before introducing the current quota system in October.

Sources told Fastmarkets in late March that less than half of the volumes allocated to miners for the fourth quarter of 2025 – later extended to the end of the first quarter of 2026 – may have been exported under the new system.

Want to learn more about what is happening at the cutting-edge of critical minerals and battery raw materials? Listen to our Fast Forward podcast series for insight, debate and news from the major players.

What to read next
Front-loading cleared roughly €780 million in CBAM liabilities before the definitive phase began. The pattern is unlikely to be a one-off as free allowances step down toward zero in 2034.
The European Commission's draft CBAM carbon price legislation, published May 13, sets out how carbon costs paid abroad will count toward EU import obligations. It also caps Article 6 credit usage at 10% of emissions and applies retrospectively from January 2026.
In this short episode of Fast Forward, Alex Kershaw, senior analyst for steel, raw materials and ferrous scrap at Fastmarkets, unpacks the recent volatility in global scrap steel markets and what is driving price movements across key regions.
As Brazil implemented protective measures against Chinese flat steel — enforcing anti-dumping duties on cold-rolled coil, coated steel, and pre-painted steel sequentially since early 2026 — China's monthly exports of finished steel to the country declined to their lowest levels since 2024, significantly reducing a market that previously consumed over 400,000 tonnes per month.
The US company EVelution Energy outlined its plans to produce 3,000 tonnes per year of cobalt metal in the United States from Congolese hydroxide, speaking with Fastmarkets on Wednesday May 13 on the sidelines of the Cobalt Congress that took place in Madrid, Spain (May 12-13).
South32 said on April 30 that first production from its 4.3-million-tonne-per-year Taylor zinc-lead-silver project in Arizona has been delayed to the first half of the 2028 calendar year.